Veg Cities Hull is a project funded by Sustainable Food Places, working with local government, food groups and organisations from schools, to hospitals, workplaces, food growing enterprises and restaurants.
Everyone knows how important vegetables are as part of a healthy, balanced diet. They sustain our bodies, sharpen our minds and help us fight off infection and disease.
Veg Cities Hull exists to increase the growing, cooking and eating of vegetables in Hull. We work with organisations such as Hull Healthy Lifestyles Team, Hull KR Community Trust, Veg Power UK and many others. We do this by organising events, challenges and promotions that inspire and motivate people to get involved as individuals or as a community in the growing, cooking and eating more VEG!
We have a wide range of different activities that take place throughout the year and plan to bring many more to Hull in the coming months.
- Get inspired by checking these case studies and find out what motivates the people of Hull to cook, eat and grow their own.
- Read the Growers Directory and find out how you can get started with growing vegetables for yourself (it’s easier than you think).
- Sign up to receive our Monthly Newsletter for the latest information on what is happening in Hull and the surrounding area.
- Check our resources page for information on local, national and global groups and discover what useful advice they can offer you.
- For children and families we have teamed up with Veg Power UK to bring ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ to Hull. With lots of activities to Vanquish the Veg, there’s plenty to keep everyone busy!
- Visit the Veg Patch next to the Wilson Centre in the middle of Hull. During the harvest periods, vegetables are free to those who want them.
- Get ready for our annual Seed Swap in March.
We need your help to get as many people in Hull growing, cooking, selling and saving more vegetables! We always aim to make things as fun and enjoyable as possible.
Would you like to get involved? We’re always looking for fresh ideas, so please let us know how we make veg matter to you by contacting us.